Every cloud has a silver lining. Or (more accurately) a threshold were storage stops being free. Why CD's should never die.

Being a responsible music owner is hard nowadays.  When I was a teenager all I needed to store and backup my music collection was the bottom of my wardrobe and and a steady supply of TDK 90s.  Fast forward to the current means I operate on and that prehistoric system seems all the more enticing a throw back to quickly return to.

I have a music library that takes up a mere 25gb of my precious PC hard drive.  Firstly I purchased an annual subs to Amazon, (yeah wait outside and get me as I leave the building guys) and for £22 a year (currently) I can store unlimited quantities of music as long as I pay up every year.  Now Dr Faustus I am not, I accept that I have not signed away my mp3 collection in exchange for my life should I ever decide an external hard drive is smarter means to store them. Mephistopheles will not appear and tear me apart for my soul as I transfer files to my 1TB portable device I very much doubt.  But it does irk me that I have to trust the safety of my FLACS' and MP3s to a large multi-national organisation because I lack the patience and genuine intelligence to pay a bit extra and still buy CD's.

I even burn CD's to my library FFS!  WHY??? I have a perfectly functional CD player in almost every room of my house! It's like buying a book and photocopying every page just in case I lose it or drop it down the toilet whilst crimping that bit too much when stooling.  Granted CD Walkman's where a terrible idea in comparison with MP3 players or mobile phones (you couldn't even breathe too hard for fear of skipping/ scratching your favourite CD, I spent most of the 90's taking twice as long as I needed to get anywhere I was going as a result of this rather limited range of movement).  But, I still only get to ever physically handle (yes touch) about 20% of the music I actually own!  The rest sits on a server being looked after by someone I will never know or meet.

There is a reason why only certain people get to look after my cats when I am away.  By comparison I should actually think long and hard about how I actually store all my hard earned purchases a little more carefully.  I am all for modern technology and the development of new things but somethings are just better done the old way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excommunion "Thronosis"

End Of Year List - Countdown - Number 6

Rïcïn "Lïan"